Features of Xerox Copiers
Whether your business requires basic or advanced office machine functions, you should have no problem finding the right multifunction copier (MFC, alternately multifunction printer [MFP] or all-in-one [AIO]) within Xerox’s robust product lineup. Xerox also provides these MFP buyer considerations. Once you’re ready to start shopping, you may want to begin narrowing your choices along the following lines:
- Color vs. black and white: All other features being equal, black and white MFPs cost less—both upfront and in ongoing supplies—than color machines.
- Laser vs. inkjet: The ongoing costs of MFPs are expressed as “price per page” or “cents per page.” The high cost of inkjet ink cartridges typically leads to higher ongoing costs, but there are additional considerations to keep in mind when comparing inkjet and laser printers.
- Print speed: A general rule of thumb for MFP pricing is that faster print speeds (pages per minute, or ppm) correlate with a higher purchase price. MFPs with print speeds under 20 ppm are the cheapest. Above 40 ppm, costs escalate quickly.
- Duty cycle: MFP duty cycle refers to how many outputs (Xerox calls them “images/month”) an office machine can safely produce in a month. Determine your business’s duty cycle needs by taking your current monthly outputs and adding 15 to 25 percent to account for overage and future growth. In addition to a machine’s duty cycle, Xerox provides a “recommended monthly print volume” for its MFPs.
- Functionality: While MFPs offer copying, printing, scanning, and faxing in a single machine, it’s worth taking the time to determine what, exactly, you need an office machine to do. Consider, for example, whether you need high resolution scanning or network scanning, a PC fax function, or extensive multitasking abilities.
- Other features: Additional MFP features to keep in mind include:
- Print resolution (dots-per-inch, or dpi)
- Paper capacity
- Wi-Fi/LAN connectivity
- Memory and hard drive
- Stapling, hole punch, booklet-making, and other finishing features
Get Free Price Quotes
Xerox Copier Costs
Xerox multifunction copiers cost as little as $300 to $500 and cost as much as $50,000 to $70,000.
- For under $1,000, you can buy a Xerox color copier with print speeds up to 36 ppm.
- Color Xerox MFPs with print speeds up to 44 ppm cost approximately $2,500 to $5,000; color Xerox copiers with print speeds of 45 ppm and higher start at a cost of around $15,000 to $20,000.
- Xerox black and white MFPs (copy, fax, print, scan) with speeds up to 35 ppm and duty cycles up to 150,000 images/month cost roughly $1,000 to $8,000 depending on features.
- Black and white Xerox MFPs with speeds of 40 to 55 ppm (more than enough for most small businesses) and 4,500 to 9,000 sheet capacity cost around $13,000 to $23,000.