What Does a Screen Door Offer?
Screen doors provide a home with several valuable benefits. They include:
- Screen doors allow large amounts of natural light indoors. This can help lower heating and cooling bills during temperate climates by heating the house with radiant sunlight.
- They also promote air circulation which can improve air quality and allow hot air to escape during hot summer months while keeping mosquitos and other insects at bay.
- A screen door is easily repaired, unlike other types of doors made of wood or glass. A repairman or even a handy DIY homeowner can replace a torn screen on a door in a few minutes.
- Many screen doors are available as a storm/screen door combo with easily removable panes to prepare for different times of year.
Get Free Price Quotes
Types of Screen Doors
There are quite a few different types of screen doors available on the market today, but 3 main categories. The options available are discussed below:
- Hinged Screen Doors: These doors are hinged on one side of the door and latch on the other. They are available as a single door unit or a double door unit similar to french doors.
- Gliding or Rolling Screen Doors: This type of door is typically found with a sliding glass door unit. It glides (a door with springs) or rolls (a door with rollers) along a top and bottom track and latches on the same side as the sliding glass door.
- Retractable Screen Doors: Fairly new on the market, these screen doors are stored in a rolled up canister attached to one side of the door and are pulled to the other side and attached with a high powered magnet or latch to create a screen seal.
Screen Door Installation/Replacement Costs
These prices reflect national averages only – actual costs will vary slightly depending on the area of the country you live and the contractor chosen to perform the work.
- Purchasing a screen door costs anywhere from $20 to $300 depending on the type, size and quality of the door. An economical hinged, gliding or rolling unit can be found for $20-$40, while higher quality units can cost as much as $150.
- Retractable screen doors start at $100 and can be as much as $300 depending on the size of the area needing to be screened.
- Installing a new screen door costs $50-$150 depending on the size and the unit selected to install. Replacing an existing screen door adds $20-$50 to the total cost for removal and disposal of the old door.