Why Should I Choose Hardwood Flooring?
Hardwood floors have many benefits over carpeting. The most important relating to a hardwood flooring purchase and installation include:
- Natural Beauty: Carpet will never match the natural warmth, elegance and beauty of hardwoods grown with care in nature. Each piece of flooring has a unique color and grain pattern naturally produced over decades.
- Health and Maintenance: Hardwood floors clean up with ease simply by dusting or sweeping, and spills handled with a damp rag and some wood-safe soap. Carpets, on the other hand, must be constantly vacuumed and allergens – especially with deep pile carpet – are difficult to remove with a simple vacuuming. Spills on carpets need immediate attention or they run the risk of permanent staining.
- Durability: Hardwood floors stand up to physical abuse extremely well. If in the off chance it gets damaged or stained, a light sanding and refinishing will restore the floor to like-new status. A hardwood floor installation often lasts 2 or 3 decades and more if properly maintained. Carpet, on the other hand, often never sees its 10th birthday.
Get Free Price Quotes
Why Should I Choose Carpet?
The benefits of carpet over a hardwood floor installation are described below:
- Comfort: No flooring material matches the pure comfort of a high quality carpet underfoot. No matter the time of year or the room temperature, carpet always feels warm and soft.
- Affordability: Compared to hardwood floors, carpet is much more affordable. You could often carpet 2 or even 3 rooms in a home for the price of installing hardwood flooring in a single room.
- Design Options: There are several different types of carpet available and hundreds of colors to choose from to go with any room décor.
Carpet and Hardwood Flooring Costs
The following prices are based on national averages; as such, your actual costs will vary slightly due to your exact location.
- Hardwood flooring typically costs $4-$12 per square foot for materials. More exotic hardwoods are available for as much as $20 per square foot, however. Installation typically costs $3-$5 per square foot, for a total of $7-$17 per square foot for materials and installation of a hardwood floor.
- Carpet, including the underlayment padding, can be found for $2-$10 per square foot depending on the quality and thickness of the carpet. Installation costs $1-$2 per square foot for a total of $3-$12 per square foot for materials and installation of carpet.
- Removal of an existing floor adds $1-$4 per square foot of flooring depending on the type of floor being removed.