Why Choose Samsara?
Fairly new to the industry of GPS fleet tracking, Samsara was founded by a group of MIT researchers in 2015. The software is designed to be intuitive, with the ability to see your entire fleet at a glance and options to view more details about each individual vehicle. It also allows you to analyze driver safety, schedule reports, and track different fleet metrics. Since the platform is web-based, you have access to these features just about anywhere on your desktop, smartphone, or tablet.
Though Samsara hardware is more advanced than the standard ODB II port hardware, it can be installed in less than 15 minutes. Simply hook it up to the information centers in the vehicle and it’s ready to go; it even integrates with other Samsara technology. Plus, Samsara fleet trackers come with a variety of safety features, such as braking, cornering, and speed tracking; dash-cam integration; and safety incident recording. There is also no vehicle minimum for Samsara, allowing it to support any size of fleet and scale to meet the needs of a growing business.
Get Free Price Quotes
Benefits and Features of Samsara Fleet Tracking Devices
In addition to easy install, efficiency reports, and alerts for critical conditions, maintenance, and safety, Samsara fleet tracking offers a plethora of benefits.
- Improved productivity: Reports and visualization features give your fleet the ability to complete their jobs faster, more efficiently, and in fewer miles. Other features increase operator output, such as dispatch tools, route analytics, and traffic updates.
- Cost reduction: Samsara helps reduce both fuel and labor costs, with analytics and reports that identify fuel waste and unnecessary mileage. From there, the system helps reduce waste to save you money.
- Streamlined maintenance: Between engine utilization reports, maintenance alerts, and real-time fault codes, Samsara helps you streamline the process of maintaining your fleet. You always know when there is an issue, giving you a chance to act on it before it becomes a larger problem.
Samsara works with most vehicles, including cars, buses, trucks, and customized vehicles.
How Much Do Samsara Fleet Tracking Devices Cost?
Prices for Samsara fleet tracking devices vary based on the size of your business, with smaller companies sometimes required to pay only a monthly service fee. However, businesses of all sizes are required to sign a one- to three-year contract for Samsara’s services. Here are some examples of Samsara fleet tracking hardware to provide an idea of what you can expect to pay:
- Samsara VG34 Vehicle loT Gateway: An advanced sensor platform that offers operators real-time location and analytics, sensor data, service logging, and WiFi hotspot connectivity. It has an average cost of $130 to $175, plus a $400 to $600 annual license fee.
- Samsara AG24 Asset Tracking Lot Gateway: Meant primarily for high-value mobile assets, heavy equipment, and dry-van and refrigerated trailers, this model has multiple built-in power options, ruggedized enclosures, and waterproofing. It combines compliance solutions, asset tracking, and fleet management in a single platform. It has a listed cost of $250 to $350, plus a $180 annual license. Refrigerated trailers have two-way control options available for an additional $250 to $350.
- Samsara AG41 Unpowered Asset Tracker: Designed for monitoring high-value mobile assets, this solution features a high-capacity battery, a ruggedized enclosure, and two GPS check-ins per day. It has a listed cost of $130 to $200, plus a $100 to $200 annual license.
For all of the above options, an all-inclusive license comes with cellular data, cloud software, maintenance, and support if it is applicable. There are also discounts for multi-year license terms and volume purchases.
There are additional factors to consider when looking into purchasing Samsara fleet tracking devices. Like most providers, Samsara requires you to sign a contract, typically between one and three years. While this isn’t uncommon, for many it is a deal breaker. However, the company offers a trial period that allows you to take the platform for a test run and decide if it’s the right fit for you. It’s always important to take advantage of the trial period, as if you find the services don’t work for you after signing a contract, you will have to pay out the remainder of said contract.
Samsara also provides a designated customer service representative for your business. Even if your company starts to grow, you keep the same point of contact, ensuring that your business is handled by someone who knows you and your operations.