How Much Does Psychology EMR Software Cost?
There are hundreds of electronic medical record (EMR) softwares out there, so it can be challenging for doctors to choose the best one for their practice. To choose the right system for your psychology practice, it is important that you look at options specifically designed for psychology and related fields. In addition, consider what you want and need in your software. Choosing an option that is made for your specific specialty is the best way to ensure that you spend your money wisely.
Psychology EMR Features
When looking for psychology EMR software, pay attention to specific features that are unique to or lend themselves to the mental health field. Automated coding, the ability to digitize progress notes, and prescription management tools are all things that you should be looking for when choosing your new psychology EMR software. You also need to consider any features that might be especially useful for your specific facility or practice. There are some things, however, that all psychology EMR should have, such as:
- Advanced note management: The ability to quickly access and review notes from previous sessions is a necessity for behavioral and mental health specialists. Because of this, it is important that your EMR software has features that allow for the easy and speedy retrieval of old notes.
- GAF charts: Global Assessment of Functioning (GAF) charts allow for the monitoring of the severity of behavioral or mental factors. They utilize graphs to rate the occupational, psychological, and social functioning of a patient as well as their ongoing progress.
- Specialty EMR templates: It is important that behavioral and mental health specialists are able to take specialized notes for their patients. Specialty EMR templates allow providers to use preexisting notes templates for addiction, anxiety, depression, psychosis, and suicide, to name a few. In addition, you can customize these preexisting templates to better suit the needs of your practice.
- Workflow management: Good EMR software should not interfere with the ability or opportunity to interact with patients. Rather, it should support your workflow and your ability to provide care.
What Will I Pay for Psychology EMR Software?
The cost of EMR software varies widely based on a variety of factors, such as any additional hardware or features, implementation time, the size of your practice, training costs, and the type of software you purchase. Also note that costs will vary from vendor to vendor. However, here are some general guidelines so as to give you an idea as to the cost of your psychology EMR software:
- ASP/web-based EMR systems: These systems have a lower upfront cost, typically ranging between $200 and $1,000 per month, per provider. The cost is lower because you don't need to worry about purchasing the hardware required with self-hosting, or the licensing fees for each user. Most cloud-based servers bill annually or monthly. Software updates are usually included in this price. While web-based psychology EMR systems do cost less, they are slower than systems with in-facility servers and can be susceptible to disrupted Internet connections. For web-based systems, a T-1 line is a must, as is reliable Internet service.
- Client server EMR systems: More expensive than web-based systems, client server EMR systems tend to cost between $2,500 and $5,000 per user. Software training is sometimes included in that price, but some companies may charge an additional $1,000 to $3,000 for setup and training. This means that a large practice or medical center can spend upwards of $50,000 for your EMR software. Some client server systems may also charge per patient visit, typically around $0.50 to $1 per visit.
The cost is not the only thing to consider when it comes to purchasing your psychology EMR software. It is a good idea to check any available reviews before making your final decision.
Benefits of Implementing Psychology EMR Software
There are several benefits that come with the correct and successful implementation of EMR software. Both the efficiency of your practice and the quality of care you are able to provide your patience improves, as you have more time to focus on your patients, thanks to having easier and faster access to files and notes and devoting less time to paperwork. It also allows you to integrate multiple applications and bureaucratic processes into a single system and move your paper records into digital files, granting easier access and improved accuracy.