Mini Versus Standard Excavators
There are differences between mini and standard excavators that are important to understand when trying to decide if a mini excavator is right for the job. Mini excavators are both lighter and smaller than standard models, which means they have reduced top-ground damage and track marks. The compact size makes a mini better for crowded work sites and allows for easy transfer. They also have a longer lifespan, primarily due to the fact that a mini excavator performs less intensive tasks.
Standard excavators work well in open areas, but can be difficult to manage in a crowded area. They also do not last as long as mini excavators and come with a higher risk of top-ground damage due to their size. However, standard machines are larger, and therefore tend to have larger buckets. Whether you need a mini or a standard excavator depends on the job.
Get Free Price Quotes
The Bobcat Advantage
Mini excavators from Bobcat come with multiple add-ons, options, and configurations that allow you to find the perfect machine for your needs. When you go with Bobcat, you get:
- Advanced hydraulics: Bobcat mini excavators offer enhanced response and speed in comparison to other brands. Every machine from Bobcat features advanced hydraulics that deliver consistent oil flow, allowing you to operate steadily without sacrificing cycle times.
- Continuous rotation: Mini excavators from Bobcat have houses that can rotate 360 degrees continuously, which provides improved repositioning in tight spaces, spoil placement, and visibility.
- Enhanced visibility: With the boom positioned to the side, Bobcat mini excavators provide better visibility. This also improves safety, as you have an unobstructed view of your workspace.
- Simple maintenance: Bobcat makes maintenance and servicing simple, with a side access hood and swing-open tailgate that allows for easy access to the cooling system, engine, pump package, and valve bank.
How Much Does a Bobcat Mini Excavator Cost?
It is difficult to provide an exact cost for mini excavators, as the age of the unit, size of the unit, add-ons, and the vendor you purchase through all impact the final price. Here is a general pricing guide to give you an idea of what you can expect to pay for your Bobcat mini excavator:
- A new 2018 Bobcat 418 has an average cost between $20,000 and $30,000.
- A new 2018 Bobcat E26 has an average cost between $28,000 and $35,000.
- A new 2018 Bobcat E 32 has an average cost between $44,000 and $58,000.
- A used 2011 Bobcat E08 with 900 operating hours has an average cost of $11,000.
- A used 2013 Bobcat E10 with 450 operating hours has an average cost between $12,000 and $15,000.
- Add-ons have an average cost between $1,000 and $2,000 per attachment, though some may cost as much as $10,000.
What to Look for in a Bobcat Mini Excavator
The first thing you should look for in a Bobcat mini excavator is power. It isn’t the only feature you should think about, but if you happen to find multiple models at the same price point, it is always best to consider the one with the higher horsepower and torque. Higher power also lets you handle more intense jobs and allows your excavator to be used in a wider variety of applications.
You also need to think about the controls and attachments of the machine, as they are incredibly important. The controls should be simple to use and understand, otherwise it simply isn’t practical. As far as attachments go, it is a good idea to look at models that either come with or are compatible with multiple attachments. This makes the unit more versatile and allows you to complete more tasks with a single piece of equipment.
Whichever model you choose, it is important to look at the service and support included with the price. You want to make sure you can go to the manufacturer whenever there is a problem and receive the proper support.