Fall Home Improvement Projects
With Winter Approaching, Now's the Time to Improve Your Home Inside and Out
As the long, warm days of summer give way to the short, cold days of winter, people spend more time indoors and the comforts of home become increasingly important. Making sure that your home is secure, energy efficient, and stylish should therefore take priority during the transitional weeks of fall. Avoid the regret of putting off home improvement projects when you're cooped up inside the house this winter by taking the initiative to get things done now.
Preventative Fall Home Projects
When snow and ice start to accumulate, your roof takes the brunt of the abuse. Fall is the perfect time for a roof inspection, which can uncover problems like loose tiles or shingles that can lead to leaking and further damage. Roof repairsare typically inexpensive, but depending on the age and type of your roof, installing new roofing might be a better long-term solution.
Your chimney hasn't seen action for a few months now, but that's about to change. A chimney sweep should be called in before the heating season begins to perform a thorough cleaning. This will not only reduce the risk of fire from accumulated creosote and any animals nests that were built during the summer, but a cleaning is also the perfect time to identify issues with the chimney liner or cap. A chimney cap keeps leaves and debris from entering the chimney during the fall, and protects the unit from animals and precipitation throughout the year. It also prevents wayward sparks from creating a fire hazard. You may also consider a furnace tune-up before winter.
Improving Energy Efficiency for Winter
Outdated windows can significantly reduce the energy efficiency of your home. If you feel a draft coming from your windows or notice condensation or frost on them, you could most likely benefit from window replacement. Multi-paned or gas-filled windows will pay for themselves in energy savings, and many new windows provide the added benefit of more light.
Front doors, like windows, can be a major source of drafts and wasted heating. The same is true of sliding glass doors and other entry doors. Modern wood doorsare energy efficient, stylish, and come in a nearly endless variety, especially if you choose custom doors. Steel doors aren't quite as attractive as wood, but offer unsurpassed security.
Fall Home Style Upgrades
As the cooler weather forces you indoors, you may begin to notice just how outdated your wall colors are. Fresh interior paint applied in the fall will brighten up your home and help you beat the winter blues. Autumn is also the ideal time to address blistering and peeling paint on your home's exterior. Harsh winter weather can damage unprotected siding, and while you may not need a complete repainting, bare spots should at least be touched up. In colder climates, October is often the last feasible month for exterior painting.
With the holiday season just around the corner, a kitchen remodeling can turn your home into the ideal gathering place for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Of course, new cabinets, countertops, flooring, and appliances are a gift to yourself that gives the whole year through, and a kitchen remodel provides one of the better return on investment (ROI) rates of any home improvement project.
Fall Home Improvement Project Costs
- Minor roof repairs typically cost $100 to $500, although repairing damage to the underlying roof structure could cost $1,000 to $1,500 or more.
- Installing a new roof costs anywhere from $3,000 to $30,000 or more depending on the materials used.
- Hiring a chimney sweep costs $200 to $300.
- A new chimney cap costs $200 to $2,000 installed.
- Standard-sized, double-hung windows average $250 to $500 apiece installed, although high-end units might cost $1,000+. Replacing all the windows in a home might cost $10,000 to $20,000.
- An exterior wood door costs $1,000 to $5,000 or more installed. Exterior steel doors cost $500 to $1,500 installed. Sliding glass doors cost $700 to $2,000 installed.
- Interior painting costs $2,000 to $3,000 for multiple rooms, or around $200 to $500 per room. Exterior painting should cost between $3,000 and $10,000.
- A kitchen remodel might cost anywhere from $10,000 to $60,000.